Your first jump into Scouting
Joey Scouts is the first Section of Scouts, for boys and girls aged 6 - 7½. The emphasis is on fun and friendship and a gentle introduction to a world of challenges and adventures through Scouting.
Ages: 6 - 7½
Meet: Thursday 4:15 - 5:15
A trained Joey Scout Leader and assistant guides our Mob as they learn to share and care for each other in a social environment.
Joey Scouts are encouraged to express themselves creatively, through games, stories and craft activities. Building monsters and spaceships from scrap items, growing plants from seedlings or singing songs together all develop a strong sense of belonging.
Joey Scouts are taught to jump in and help other people and to share with their friends. They wear a special shirt so everyone knows they are Joey Scouts.
They enjoy visits to special places such as the local fire station or the zoo and visitors to their meetings create more excitement.
More than anything, Joey Scouts is about having fun!
Every activity is designed to ensure that the Joey Scout goes home happy and fulfilled from their time as part of the Mob. It’s for active boys and girls who like having fun and making friends.
The programs in Joey Scouts emphasise co-operation and participatory learning.
- Participating in games, activities, crafts, stories, songs, play acting, prayers and outdoor activities.
- Co-operating in fun games and activities that also require sharing, helping and pulling together.
- Competing against oneself and others using small ad hoc groups with the accent on fun.
- Playing in an atmosphere created by trained Leaders, in the style of Scouting and based on the values of the Scout Law and Scout Promise.
- Broadening the children’s experiences and understandings of the world around them through the use of displays, objects, visitors, outings and explanations.
- Prepare Joey Scouts for the wider program of Scouting through weekly meetings, Joey Fun Days, themed sleepovers, and Mob family camps.